Planning a Colorado weekend getaway to the Upper Arkansas River Valley is made richer by the depth of events and performances offered year round. The Colorado Mountain Plein Air Art Festival is popular among fine and aspiring artists in late summer. FIBArk is the nation's longest running White Water Festival - challenging professionals & Hooligans since 1949.
Discover local talent in a gallery stroll, on stage at the historic Steam Plant theater, at Riverside Park's open-air amphetheater, or catch an impromptu kayak rodeo in either the Salida or Buena Vista White Water Park. Named as one of the Top 100 Best Little Art Towns, Salida is home to a variety of galleries, studios and events where artists are happy to chat about their most current project on the easel.
Can't decide where to start? Here is just a sampling of what you might look forward to on your next Colorado day trip:
Seasonal Events & Entertainment:
- Buena Vista Heritage Museum - Making history come alive! Events June - October with Minor Justice melodrama, Mount Olivet Cemetery tours, Madams of Central Colorado, Father John Dyer, Zebulon Pike & more.
- Over The River Project for the Arkansas River - Scheduled for August 2015. Over The River is a temporary work of art by the artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude. Christo plans to suspend 5.9 miles of silvery, luminous fabric panels high above the Arkansas River along a 42-mile stretch of the river between Salida & Canyon City in southern-central Colorado
- FibArk, June. Lots of fun activities for the whole family! First in boating on the Arkansas - America's oldest and boldest Whitewater Festival!
- Salida Art Walk, June. Enjoy the 22nd annual art event.
- Salida Brew Fest, July. The Colorado Brewers Rendezvous is an excellent opportunity for everyone to tap into the rich heritage and tradition of Colorado craft brewing.
- Event Calendar from Chaffee County - Now this is Colorado yearly events
- Event Calendar for Salida & Chaffee County - Salida Chamber yearly events.
- Steam Plant Theater - live entertainment
- Stage Left Theatre Company, Salida, CO
- Colorado Travel and Tourism
- Monarch Mountain - Ski area events
2014 Salida and Chaffee County Art Events
2014 Chaffee County Cycling Events
Railroad, mining and history buffs love spending time hiking and 4-wheeling in and around Garfield, Monarch, Salida, and Chaffee County.
Arkansas River Valley & History of Chaffee County:
- The Garfield Boom: Garfield was a boomtown in the 1880's. The mining camp featured three hotels, 12 saloons, a dance hall, and gambling establishments. Wyoming Kate was well known as "the Queen of Faro" in Garfield. Crime was common, but vigilante committees meted out severe justice. Gold, silver, copper & marble were mined in this area. (Images of America Around Monarch Pass, by Duane Vandenbusche)
- Ghost Towns in Chaffee County: Garfield had its beginning in 1879 and was at the junction of 2 wagon roads. Its first name was Junction City. At one time the population exceeded 500. A great fire burned the town in 1883 but the town was rebuilt and renamed in honor of President Garfield. Snow and avalanches plagued the town and it dwindled. Today, there are a few buildings right along the highway. Submitted by: Ghosttowns.com
- Collegiate Peaks Scenic and Historic By Way
- Arborville Station, Garfield, Monarch history
- History of Hwy 50 A Brief History of America's Backbone
- History of Chaffee County from the 1800's to 2001
- Collegiate Peaks Byway
- Monarch Mountain Ski Area History
- Map of Area
- Chaffee County Mines
- Buena Vista Heritage Museum - Making history come alive June till October!
Colorado Road Condition Reports, Map of the area & Trip Insurance to help you in your Colorado vacation planning: